The town is best know because of its old Turkish houses and has numerous pieces of art, of which over a thousand are under protection.
There are two distinct areas: Carsi in the south is the old area of town, and location of most of the winter houses, whereas Baglar has the summerhouses. Between them is Kirankoy, famous for the Greek houses that display more top quality masonry, and home to the Greek population until the early 20th century.
The area of most interest to the visitor is in Carsi, seen from the castle in the north, also known as Eski Safranbolu.
Hidirlik Hill to the south is the location of two monuments, and was used as an open-air venue for rituals in previous centuries.
Some of the area’s most interesting historical locations are the castle and surroundings, which was the initial settlement area; the Old Government Building; a 200-year old clock tower still in working order; and the jailhouse, now disused.
Within the city there are 25 mosques with historical importance, the most famous of which are Koprulu Mehmet Pasa, and Sultan III. These were constructed by Selim’s Grand Vizier, Izzet Mehmet Pasa.
The newly restored Cinci Hani, the most famous building in the old part of town, is a caravanserai dating back to 1645. Next to that is Cinci Hamami, still working today with separate baths for men and women, with a marble interior and strong light coming in from the domed roof. Both were constructed by Cinci Hoca, from Safranbolu.
The business and commerce of the town are kept as close to the traditional means as possible, and goods are made and sold in the bazaars like Yemeniciler Arastasi. Iron, copper and tin are crafted in traditional means, and the Packsaddle Maker’s Bazaar has preserved the craft in the city.