Overlooking the market town of Schönbühel, Schönbühel Aggsbach castle is located at an altitude of 210 m on the right bank of the river Danube in the Melk district, in Lower Austria. The castle was originally built in the 12th century but has been remodelled many times. In 1419 the castle was purchased by the lords of Starhemberg. The church next to the main entrance was built in 11th century and was in use until 1665. A part of the castle housed a school until 1798.
Schönbühel-Aggsbach Castle, Austria
In the 19th century, the castle started to decline and only the towers, church and main entrance remained intact by 1819. After several renovation during the 19th-20th centuries the castle gained its recent shape. The castle is owned by Seilern and Aspang family, today.