The Mir Castle is a UNESCO World Heritage site in Belarus located near Mir in the Karelichy District of the Hrodna voblast, 29 km to the north-west from another World Heritage site, Nesvizh Castle.
The construction of the castle began at the end of the 15th century, in the Gothic architecture style. Building of the castle was completed by Duke Ilinich in early 16th century near the village Mir.
Around 1568 the Mir Castle passed into the hands of Lithuanian Duke Radvila, who finished building the Castle in Renaissance architecture style. A three story palace was built along the eastern and northern walls of the castle. Plastered facades were decorated with limestone portals, plates, balconies and porches.
Castle in Mir
After being abandoned for nearly a century and suffering severe damage during the Napoleonic period, the castle was restored at the end of the 19th century. In 1813, after the death of Dominik Radzivil, the castle passed into the hands of his daughter Stefania, who married Ludwig zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.
The castle later fell into the hands of their daughter Maria, who married Prince Chlodwig Hohenloche-Schillingfurst. Their son, Maurice Hohenloche-Schillingfurst sold the castle to Nikolaj Sviatopolk-Mirski, of the Bialynia clan, in 1895. Nikolaj's son Michail began to rebuild the castle according to the plans of architect Teodor Bursze.
Castle in Mir
The Sviatopolk-Mirski family owned the castle up to 1939. During WWII, it came under the dominion of the Nazi occupying force and served as a ghetto for the local Jewish population prior to their liquidation.