Stara Zagora, ‘the town of lime trees and cypresses’, was established in ancient times on a major crossroad from the Danube River toward the Aegean Sea and from Plovdiv to the Black Sea.
Its historical existence is marked by the names Beroe, Augusta Trayana, Verea, Irinopolis, Borouy, Eski Hisar, Zheleznik and finally Stara Zagora. After being burned down and completely destroyed during the War of Liberation, on 5th of October 1879 the symbolic foundation-stone for restoration of the town was laid down according to the plan of Lubor Beier.
Thus, Stara Zagora became the first town after the Liberation to have modern town planning. The first opera house outside Sofia was opened here as well as the first provincial radio station. In 1895, the town’s Ayazmo Park was laid out. A formerly barren hill was afforested with 2000 decares of magnificent woods of pine, cypress and almond tress.
There is a wonderful walkway leading up the hill to a chapel above a healing spring. The Stara Zagora mineral baths are close to the town. This spa resort is situated deep in the oaks, pine and elm tree forest. Nearby a Roman bath was founded in 161-163.
In the region of the Well of the Bear one can find old collieries dated from the 4th century BC. The beautiful nature, the interesting sights and the convenient location with fast and varied transportation make the town of Stara Zagora an attractive place to visit.