Situated on the Morava River, Olomouc is one of the important historic cities, and intellectual, spiritual centres, of the Moravian Region of the Czech Republic.
Its historic inner-city is bounded by the Morava River; it forms, after Prague, the second largest contiguous area of monuments in the Czech Republic.
The Baroque style “Holy Trinity” column, sculpted in 1740, is Central Europe’s largest such Baroque style column; it has been placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Olomouc’s most important ecclesiastical building is the St. Wenceslaus Cathedral; Neo-Gothic in style, it has retained some of its Romanesque and Gothic elements.
The Town Hall in the centre of the main square, which was erected in 1378 as a Gothic style commercial building, later had Renaissance style loggias and gateways added. Its famous astronomical clock – the “Orloi” – dates from the 15th century.
The Gothic style St. Maurice Church dates from the 15th-16th centuries; its southern tower once served as a keep. Its famous organ, which was built in 1745, can still be heard when gala concerts are held. The Bishop’s Palace and the Hradisko Premonstratensian Monastery, also belong among the city’s important historic buildings.
Saint Wenceslas Cathedral, Olomouc
Accommodation in Olomouc
Book your room here
Poets Corner Hostel