Situated in the southern part of the Moravian Region, Telc is one of the Czech Republic’s most beautiful, historically homogeneous, and best preserved cities.
Its historic city-centre was placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1992.
The present homogeneous city-centre is actually the amalgam of two parts of the city which were founded at different times - “Old Telc” in the 12th century, while “New-Telc” arose around the castle during the 14th century. Parts of its medieval city-wall, and two of its former city-gates, can still be seen today. The Gothic style “Tower of the Holy Spirit” can be seen next to the “Large Gate”.
With its bastions, two chapels, and bell-tower, the castle was originally built in the Gothic in style; later it was converted into a Renaissance style fortified castle – which now functions as a museum.
The elongated, trapeze shaped main square is lined by 58 former middle-class burgher houses with decorated gables; built mostly between 1500 and 1550, they are, in the main, in the Renaissance style.
Historical houses in Telc