Narva, which was once called the baroque pearl of the Baltic Sea but was almost completely destroyed in 1944 by the Soviet air force, offers its visitors curious experiences. On the bank of the Narva River that has for centuries been regarded as the border between the Eastern and Western civilisations stands the powerful Hermann Fortress.
Now a museum, it faces Ivangorod Fortress on the opposite side of the Narva River. A few kilometres upstream is the historical Kreenholm Manufacture, one of the largest textile factories in Europe in the second half of the 19th century.
Medieval castle in Narva
The castle is a symbol of the border town of Narva. Hermann Castle is on the western bank of the Narva River, which has long constituted as a border between the East and the West. It has been thoroughly renovated and welcomes visitors from everywhere.
The castle is imposing – entering the castle walls takes you to the vast courtyard and Tall Hermann, the main tower of the fortress. The beautiful main hall of the fortress is used as a concert venue. In the summer season the courtyard also hosts concerts and theatre performances.
Visitors, foreign and Estonian, take advantage of the possibility to take photos next to the huge statue of Lenin that once guarded the central square of the town.
(Sources: Estonia Tourist Office, MarvaoGuide.com)