Situated in the eastern half of the country, in Hajdú-Bihar county, Debrecen is Hungary’s second largest city, and the cultural, financial and commercial centre of the North Great Plain Region.
Also called the “Calvinist Rome”, the city’s main tourist attraction is the Classicist style, Calvinist Main Church in the city-centre. It was in this church, in 1849, that Lajos Kossuth read-out the Declaration of Independence which deposed the Hapsburgs from the Hungarian throne.
The Classicist style Calvinist College, founded in 1538, was considered to be one of the intellectual centres of the Hungarian Reformation. The revolutionary Hungarian Parliament conducted its sittings in the College between January and May of 1849 - as did the Provisional National Assembly in December 1944. The College’s library possesses some very valuable collections which can be viewed by the public.
Debrecen - Calvinist Church
The Déri Museum contains exhibitions dealing with the city’s history; there are also paintings by one of Hungary’s most distinguished painters - Mihály Munkácsy
The “Nagyerdő ”(Large Forest) was Hungary’s first nature conservation area; it now contains the main building of the University of Debrecen - as well as a zoo, an amusement park, a rowing-lake and swimming and spa facilities.
The city’s most famous festival is the “Carnival of Flowers”, held each year in August.
Debrecen - Aranybika Hotel
Accommodation in Debrecen
Book your room here
Stop Pension, Debrecen, Hungary