The small town of Kisvárda is located in the Eastern part of Hungary, in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, about 50 km northeast from Nyíregyháza. Kisvárda Castle, the town’s most popular tourist feature, was built in the 15th century.
At the beginning, and during the second half, of the 16th century, it was enlarged – thereby increasing its fortress-like character. With its arcade, four corner towers, U-shape, inner courtyard, and with its main facades facing inward, it became a Renaissance style castle – which also had a chapel and numerous auxiliary buildings.
Today, essentially only the south wall of the original castle remains. The now rebuilt castle hosts the Festival of Trans-border Hungarian Theatres.
The Synagogue, another of the tourist attractions of the town, was built in 1901; it houses the Rétközi Museum. The Roman-Catholic Church of St. Peter and St. Paul was built in the 18th century, except for its chancel, which is an inheritance from a 15th century Gothic church.