The village of Monok is located in the northern part of Hungary, in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county. Two mansions can be found in Monok: that of the Monoky family, and the Andrássy Mansion.
The so-called “Old”, or “Small” Mansion, can be found on a hill in the centre of the village - where the parish church is also located. This 14th century Gothic building was rebuilt in a Renaissance style in the 16th-17th centuries, and then expanded during the 19th century with the addition of Classicist elements.
Monok - Monoky Mansion
During the 16th century the mansion was converted into a fortress. It was surrounded with a protective wall with bastions, and further strengthened by the addition of a corner-tower with embrasures.
The second mansion, belonging to the landed Andrássy family, was originally baroque in style but was later rebuilt in the Classicist style. Its ceremonial hall features 18th century rococo frescoes. A 6 hectare ornamental park belonged to the mansion. A school has been functioning in the building since 1914.
The village’s most famous son is Lajos Kossuth, famous politician and former Regent-President of Hungary; the house in which he was born is now a museum.
Monok - Monoky Mansion in winter