The small town of Pécsvárad is located in the southern part of Hungary, in the South-Transdanubia Region, about 16 km northeast of Pécs. Pécsvárad’s main tourist attraction is its castle, which was a former Benedictine Abbey.
The abbey was founded by the King St. Stephen in 1015. The abbey was fortified in the 14th and 15th centuries and was one of the most important monasteries of royal foundation of Hungarian history of the Middle Ages.
During the Turkish Occupation the abbey was transformed into a fortress, substantial part of which has survived. A few places have been restored and these contain today the castle museum.