Sátoraljaújhely, the northernmost town in Hungary, was once the county-seat of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County. Sited in a beautiful natural environment, where the Sátor Mountains and the Great Hungarian Plain meet, it is one of the main centres of the Zemplén Region and serves as a border-crossing point to Slovakia.
The names of three historically famous Hungarians (amongst others) - Lajos Kossuth, Ferenc Kazinczy and Ferenc Rákóczi II. – are associated with the town.
The city’s Town Hall, built between 1753 and 1761, and now a historic monument, can be found in the main-square. One of its wings houses the Zemplén County Archives - now known as the Ferenc Kazinczy Archives.
The Pauline Piarist monastery was founded by Béla IV in 1258. Rebuilt several times, the now baroque style monastery still contains Gothic remnants of its medieval past in its walls. Its single-nave church, the northern wall of which is Gothic in its entirety, has retained its characteristic medieval ground-plan.
The baroque style Waldbott Mansion, dating from the 18th century, can be found in Széchenyi Square.
The grave of Mózes Teitelbaum, the miracle-working rabbi who died in 1841, can be found in the city’s old Jewish cemetery. Today it is a frequently visited pilgrimage site.
Sátoraljaújhely - Pauline Piarist monastery