Located in the Central-Transdanubian region, about 65 kilometers west from Budapest, Székesfehérvár is the administrative, industrial and cultural center of Fejér county.
Székesfehérvár used to be the royal seat, the coronation site and the burial place for most of the Hungarian kings in the Middle Ages.
Szekesfehervar - Medieval Basilica ruins
The church and the chapter founded by Saint Stephen around 1018, the largest medieval monuments of Székesfehérvár, were considered as one of the most important chapters of Hungarian kingdom in the Middle Ages.
The basilica became a shrine, a central sacred place of the Hungarian kingdom, where coronation of the kings took place throughout the Middle Ages. The present ruin-site and exhibition centre are situated on the place of the former basilica, and display the vestiges of one of the most important ecclesiastical buildings of Hungary.
Szekesfehervar - Medieval Chapel
Built at the very beginning of the 19th century, the neighbouring Bishop palace is one of Hungary’s most important Zopf-style buildings. The County Hall was built between 1807 and 1812 in the Classicist style.
The Black Eagle pharmacy was opened in 1758, preserved its original appearance, and it functions as a pharmacy museum, now. Built in the 15th century, the Chapel of St Anne is the town most beautiful Gothic monument.
On the north-east edge of Székesfehérvár can be found the Bory castle, which is a mixture of Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque styles.
Szekesfehervar - Old Town