Located on the bank of Gauja River, opposite to Sigulda, Turaida castle stands on the middle of a 42 hectares forest. Turaida medieval castle was built in 1214 as a fortified castle surrounded by a complex defensive system. The castle was one of the Riga Archbishops’ residencies. From its red brick watchtower there is spectacular view over the Gauja Valley. There is a local history museum in the castle and archaeological excavations are still ongoing. There are walking routes outside the castle walls.
Turaida Castle, Latvia