The name of Tiraspol derives from a Greek word “the town on the Nistru”. Tiraspol appeared on Moldova’s map in 1792 during the Russian and Turkish battle near Bender Fortress. In just a few months, a fortress with 3 towers was constructed to strengthen the positions of the Russian Army lead by Alexander Suvorov. After Basarabia’s annexation to Russia, the fortress was transformed into a prison (where, during the Czarist regime, many Decabrists were held). It was later destroyed. Today we can see the ruins of only one tower.
Tiraspol is a green town with a beautiful zone for rest on the bank of Dnestr. There is an old Tree Garden in the centre of the town. You can also visit The History Museum, T. Sevcenco University, the Drama Theatre, monuments to A. Suvorov and the Decabrist V. Raievscki. An interesting trip can be organized to Moldova’s great geo-palaeonthologic monument – Valceana Colcot.
Currently, the flow of foreign tourists to the Transdnistrian region is considerably limited due to the ongoing disputes between the self-declared authorities of this region and the legal authorities of Chisinau. It is recommended that any tours made to Tiraspol and Tighina should be co-ordinated by a Travel Agency.
House of Councils, Tiraspol
(Sources: Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Moldova, MarvaoGuide.com)