Perast is located in the southern part of Montenegro, on the Bay of Kotor, at the foot of hill of St. Elijah, about 12 km north from the town of Kotor. The little town of Perast has the best-preserved baroque architecture in the coastal part of Montenegro.
The Church of St. Nikola was built in the 15th and 17th centuries. The Parish Church in Perast was built in 1740 by the Venetian architect, Giuseppe Beati but only the church tower and the church vault remained, now.
There are two small islands in the close vicinity of Perast: St. George Island and Our Lady of the Rock Island (Gospa od Škrpjela).
Our Lady of the Rock Island it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic; excursion boats from Perast take visitors to the island. According to the legend, fishermen found an icon of St. Mary on this place and built a church for it on the island which was piled up on a rock especially for this purpose.