The historic town of Nysa is located in the southwestern part of Poland, on the Nysa Klodzka River, in the Opole Voivodeship. Nysa is the administrative center of Nysa County.
Nysa is one of the oldest towns in Silesia region; it was founded in the 10th century. The Medieval urban layout of the old town in Nysa has been well preserved. There are also many Baroque and Renaissance houses in the main market square and its neighborhood. Nysa’s Weigh-House was built in 1604; it is a fine example of Dutch Renaissance.
The large Church of Saint James and Agnes occupies one side of the main market square; it was built in the 15th century in the late-Gothic style. The church has a fine double doorway and it contains a number of Renaissance and Baroque side chapels. There are also two Baroque-style churches: St. Peter and Paul and Our Lady’s Assumption Churches are also worth visiting. The Bishops’ palace was built in the 17th and 18th centuries.