Located in the southern part of Poland, about 120 km southwest of Lublin, Sandomierz is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the region. Sandomierz is one of Poland’s oldest towns; during the Middle Ages together with Kraków and Wrocław, Sandomierz was among the most important towns in Poland. Sandomierz preserved many historic monuments from its golden ages.
The Gothic Opatów Gate is the main entrance of the Old Town; it was built in the 14th century. The main market square is dominated by the old town hall, which was built in the 14th century. The town’s cathedral was built in 1360 in the Gothic style and was rebuilt in the Baroque style during the 18th and 19th centuries. The St James’ Church and the Dominican monastery with defensive belfry and rich ornamentation were built in the Romanesque style in the 13th century.
A labyrinth of underground tunnels where merchants stored their goods spreads underneath the city, today a tourist route of 470 meters.
Sandomierz, Town Hall