Tarnów has preserved the medieval urban layout of its Old Town. Its focal point is the Rynek, the old market square lined with Renaissance burgher houses from the 16th century. In the middle of the Rynek the Old Town Hall can be found, which was built in the late Gothic style in the 15th century and rebuilt in the Renaissance style in the 16th century.
The Town Hall today houses the Tarnów’s Local History Museum. Near the market square a Gothic cathedral stands, which was originally built in the 14th century. The church contains several Renaissance and Baroque tombs.
The next house dating back the 16th century houses the Diocesan Museum. East of the Rynekwas the traditional quarter of Tarnów’s jews; the bimah is the only fragment of the 18th century synagogue destroyed by the Nazis in 1940. The Jewish cemetery contains approx. 3,000 tombstones.
Tarnów - Old Town Hall (Photo source: GNU)