Situated on the Târnava Mare River, in the eastern half of Transylvania in Romania, the formerly Saxon city of Sighisoara (German: Schäßburg; Hungarian: Segesvár) is one of the region’s most beautiful cities.
Consisting of an upper- and a lower-city, the upper-city is actually a castle, sitting on a 72m high peak, surrounded by a protective wall with 14 towers; during the Middle Ages the castle was impregnable. The castle, on which work was begun as far back as 1191, by Saxons settlers introduced into the country by the Hungarian rulers, appears on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The castle’s most well-known features are - the clock-tower, dating from the 14th century; next to it the 13th century Gothic monastery-church; and on the highest point within the castle – the Gothic style Lutheran church. Also worth mentioning are the “Student Steps” – a fully enclosed flight of 172 steps, entirely made of wood, constructed in 1642 for the use of students attending the German School in the castle.
The most noteworthy of Sighisoara’s cultural programmes is the “Medieval Festival”, staged in summer.