This fortified church is situated in the center of the village. The first church was most likely a Gothic basilica erected in the early 14th century. Archeological excavations have revealed the existence of another building before the present church.
The church is characterized by Late-Gothic elements from around 1500. The church hall has a tunnel vault with a Late-Gothic ribbed net. The vault from the nave is supported by five pairs of pillars standing near the walls of the hall. In the construction phase, more levels were added above the choir with arches between the tall buttresses and a fortified level with a hoarding.
There is another hoarding above the hall, with loopholes and arches for machicolations. The west tower, which is also a bell tower, has buttresses at 45 degrees, arches between the buttresses, and a hoarding on wooden cantilevers.
Valea Viilor - Fortified church
The church is surrounded by a protective wall with a hoarding on brick arches, a solution adopted from the defensive architecture of contemporary towns. Towers were placed in the east, west, north, and south with the western one being a gate tower. The Baroque altar from 1779 has two tiers, columns, small columns, saint’s statues, and painted panels. A Eucharist shrine and stall work from the beginning of the 16th century have survived. The existing organ is from 1808. The fortress of Valea Viilor is impressive because of the sculptural character of the fortified aspects. It has been inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Fortified churches in Transylvania
Car Insurance - Get cheap car insurance by comparing car insurance quotes from various car insurance companies online. Drive away with cheap insurance!