The Premonstratensian Monastery in Jasov (Hungarian: Jászó, German: Jossau) was founded by King Kálmán in the 12th century. During the Middle-Ages its function as a “place of authentification “ was of nation-wide significance. During the first-third of the 15th century, the Gothic monastery was strengthened and converted into a fortified monastery; during the next two-hundred years it underwent several further alterations. It owes its present aspect to its 18th century reconstruction, which was based on the plans of A.Pilgram, a Viennese architect.
Premonstratensian Monastery in Jasov
The frescoes in the monastery were painted by J.L.Kracker; among these, five vaults depict the story of St. John the Baptist. The Order’s library contains valuable documents, manuscripts and codices.
The Jasov Cave was gouged out by the underground waters of the Bódva and Tapolca Rivers. The Order opened it for access by the general public in 1846. Currently 550m of the cave have been developed. The cave is ornamented with limestone pagodas, columns, falls, drums, shields, straws and other configurations – formed over millions of years by the dripping water.
The chambers of the cave are home to twelve species of bats. Since 1995 the chambers are also being used for treating certain health problems. The cave is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.