Located in the eastern part of Slovakia, Košice (Hungarian: Kassa, German: Kaschau, Polish: Koszyce) is the second largest city in the country after Bratislava.
Serving as the residence of both the Catholic and the Lutheran bishops, Košice, with its monuments and museums, offers a full day’s program for visitors. The main tourist attractions of the city are the Košice Cathedral (St. Elizabeth's Cathedral) and the St. Michal's Chapel.
A number of palatial homes, belonging formerly to the nobility, can be seen along the main street. Most of these are located along its roughly 800m long, spindle-shaped, main street – or in its immediate vicinity; they can be easily covered on foot. The lenticular historical town core of Košice was placed on UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List in 2002.
Kosice, St. Michal's Chapel
The Urban's tower, to the north of the cathedral, was built in the middle of the 16th century on the site of the Red Tower, which was also destroyed in the Great Fire of 1556.
St. Michael's Chapel, dating from 1330-40, can be found to the south of the cathedral. The Gothic style burial chapel contains 17 tombstones. Parts of its interior feature original frescoes.
The city’s pre-eminent monument, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture, is its St. Elizabeth's Cathedral. A church already existed on the site of the cathedral in the 13th century – however, it burnt down in 1378. It was in consequence of this that work on the cathedral was begun – eventually to be finished in 1521. It comprised a centre nave with two equally high side-aisles. In 1556 this new cathedral also burnt down - with only four altars surviving the fire. The present building is the result of renovations in the 19th century, plans for which were prepared by Imre Steindl, the designer of the Parliament House in Budapest.