Located in the central part of Slovakia, about 20 km west of Banská Bystrica, Kremnica (German: Kremnitz, Hungarian: Körmöcbánya) was an important medieval mining town. In the 14th century in Hungary, Kremnica was also called "Golden Kremnica".
In 1328 King Károly Róbert of Anjou granted Kremnica the privileges of a free royal mining town and at the same time founded a mint, which is the only one in the world to have been continual use and still stamps coins for countries abroad.
Kremnica gold was also made into Kremnica ducats – florins, which at the beginning of the 14th century were known as ‘good Kremnica ducats’. On account of their attractive appearance and the constant high purity of the gold, they were used as hard currency throughout in Central Europe for several centuries. Next to the mint there is the Museum of Coins and Medals belonging to the National Bank of Slovakia.
Kremnica, Old Town
The dominating feature and also the oldest part of Kremnica is the town castle, which was built in the 13th century. Its most impressing building is St. Catherine’s Church, which was built in gothic style.
The historical center and the castle form a relatively small complex of a fortified medieval town. One of the most remarkable buildings in the square is the Franciscan monastery and church.