Moldovita Monastery



 

The Moldovita Monastery is one of the oldest monastic buildings in the region. A fortified stone church was erected around 1410, the monastery was built in 1512 by Petru Raresh.

The characteristics of the monuments in the era of Stephen the Great were kept (vault, tomb room, recesses in the apses, elements of Gothic influence etc). The Princely House, a valuable building, erected in 1612. The enclosure wall, 6 meters high, and over one meter thick, still has fortified towers.

Moldovita Monastery
Moldovita Monastery
 

The inside painting keeps with the tradition. The “Crucifixion”, in the nave, is deemed the most valuable achievement on that theme in the Bukovina churches.

The outside painting dating from 1537 shows resemblances to the fresco of Humor with its complexity and richness. In the porch the “Last Judgment” can be seen. The southern façade, favoured and better preserved, has best kept the “Hymn to Our Lady”.

Moldovita Monastery
Moldovita Monastery
 

The monastery museum, arranged in the Princely House, among other religious items, keeps the armchair of Petru Raresh (from the 16th century), which is the most valuable work art of the genre in the whole Moldavia. The monastery was placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1993.

Moldovita Monastery
Outside painting of Moldovita Monastery

Other monasteries in Bukovina

Voronet is one of the first Moldavian monuments that has created an own style. The Voronet Monastery was placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1993. More...

The Sucevita Monastery is one of the most outstanding examples of Moldavian monasteries; with its frescoes gaining a worldwide reputation. The monastery was built in the last decades of the 16th century by the Movila family. More...

The Arbore monastery was built in 1502. The “Cavalcade of the Saint Cross” gives a specific note to the mural painting in the Bukovina of the time. The church was placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1993. More...

In the proximity of Sucheava, the church in Dragomirna was erected in 1602. With its 42 meters on vertical and only 9,6 meters width, the church is the highest in Moldavia Region. More...

The church in Patrauti was erected in 1487. It is the smallest among the monasteries in Bukovina , and the only one meant to be a nun monastery. Its architecture represents a valuable model of a Moldavian medieval era. More...

The monastery is located in the picturesque village Humor, six kilometers from the town Gura Humorului. The present church was built in 1530. More...