Sopron, in the West-Transdanubian Region, at the foot of the Sopron Mountain Range, lies close to the Austrian border. Sopron is also known as the “Loyal City”, because in the referendum held in 1921 as part of the Trianon Peace Settlement, its citizens voted for the city to remain a part of Hungary.
In terms of its historic buildings, Sopron is the second richest city in Hungary; together with its historic significance and its proximity to Lake Neusiedler in Austria, these make it one of the favourite tourist destinations.
Gothic Church in Sopron
The fire-watch tower, dating from the end of the 13th century, which is the city’s symbol, owes its present form to its reconstruction after the fire of 1676.
One of its most valuable monuments is the Gothic style “Kecske (Goat)” Church which was built in 1280 and which was the scene of coronations and parliamentary sittings in the 17th century.
The St. Michael Church was erected between the 13th and 15th centuries in the Romanesque and Gothic styles.
Sopron - Old Town
The Stornó House in the main square is one of the most famous buildings in the city because of its matchless collection; King Matthias (Mátyás) once stayed here.
The Fabricius House was erected on the remnants of the former Roman Baths in the 14th-15th centuries – it was later modified in the Renaissance and Baroque styles.
Sopron - Old Synagogue
Sopron’s Jewish monuments deserve special attention; of these, the most famous is the medieval “Old”-Synagogue, which was built in the Gothic style in the 13th and 14th centuries, and which today is used as a museum.
Sopron and its neighbourhood form one of the country’s traditional wine-growing regions – its best known wine is the “Sopron Kékfrankos”.
Sopron - Old Town